Acumen Fund - Analyst [2-Year Program]
Acumen Fund seeks a committed Analyst for their New York Office.
Acumen Fund started as an idea. 11 years later they have a proven model that combines the best of charity and investing to change the way the world tackles poverty.
Acumen Fund is a non-profit venture fund with a vision to help build a world beyond poverty through investing in companies that deliver critical goods and services in water, health, housing, energy, agriculture, and education; leaders who are paving the way for new approaches to fighting poverty; and the spread of ideas that will give the world the knowledge and the understanding to change how the world tackles poverty.
Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and commitment to tackling the issue of global poverty are just a few of the things that the staff at Acumen Fund have in common. What they aim to accomplish with their work is no easy task, and they need dedicated, high-caliber people to reach their goals.
Acumen Fund has invested more than [$85] million of patient capital in more than 60 social enterprises in South Asia, East Africa and West Africa that have collectively served more than 100 million customers. They have teams on the ground in India, Pakistan, Kenya, Ghana, and New York, and aim to build strong local structures that are deeply interconnected to the global organization through shared goals.
See who is talking about Acumen fund here.
Acumen Fund’s New York Analyst Program is a two-year full-time program that provides participants with the unique opportunity to rotate through both the Business Development (BD) and Portfolio teams. This is a recently developed program aimed at recent graduates and emerging professionals with not more than one year of work experience. The program is designed to coincide with the end of the 2012 academic calendar, although prior year graduates are welcome to apply. It is a closed-end program, meaning that upon completion of the two-year rotation Acumen Fund will work with the Analyst to find his or her next opportunity outside of the organization.
The Analyst role is the go-to utility-person on both the BD and Portfolio teams; his or her primary function is to support these teams in all aspects of day-to-day operations. The Analyst is expected to provide solid and flexible support as team needs change with shifting priorities, and learning new skills quickly is a core competency that will ensure efficient transition between responsibilities. As such, the role provides an expansive opportunity to gain a broad set of professional and sector-specific skills.
The first year of the program will be spent with the BD team, which is responsible for prospecting new donors, managing existing donor relationships (individual, foundation, corporate), managing Acumen Fund’s online properties and communications, and building a strong community of influencers and supporters to advance Acumen Fund’s mission. While working with the BD team, the Analyst will be exposed to many different aspects of the team’s work including donor relationship and database management, online and social media management, communicating Acumen’s core philosophies and storytelling.
The Analyst will have specific BD responsibilities which include but are not limited to:
Donor Database Management and Gift Processing
- Gift processing, which entails entering all donations into our database, with impeccable accuracy and liaising with the Finance department to ensure accurate documentation/tracking of all revenues.
- Assisting with tracking gift acknowledgement letters, including sending electronic and regular mail acknowledgements for all payments; reminder letters for payments due and commitment letters for all new intentions.
- Ensuring all data related to new contacts, outreach and relationship tracking is accurately entered into the BD database in a timely manner.
- Helping with data maintenance and creation of constituent and donor segmentation lists for appeals, special events, progress reports, and mailing lists for events such as our annual Investor Gathering.
- Occasional entry of Business Cards and other key contact information.
- Assisting the BD Associate with revenue analysis and donation metrics.
- Researching prospects for the BD team.
- Assisting with filing of hard copy donation materials.
Storytelling &Community Building
- Managing the Acumen Fund Blog – developing and maintaining blog content pipeline, editing articles, and posting articles on WordPress.
- Managing Acumen Fund’s social media channels; this includes generating new and engaging content for our Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the impact investing, business innovation, international development, and non-profit sectors.
- Producing the Seen & Heard Newsletter for Acumen staff and community.
- Maintaining Acumen Fund’s multimedia assets (e.g. photos, videos) and assisting with development of new multimedia and storytelling assets (e.g. PowerPoint decks).
- Assisting with analytics of the effectiveness of Acumen Fund’s online initiatives and constituent engagement activities.
- Supporting online campaigns and community/Partner events and activities.
During the second year of the program, the Analyst will support the Portfolio team, which is responsible for investing patient capital in companies that serve the poor in India, Pakistan, and East and West Africa. The Portfolio team follows a rigorous due diligence process to identify, analyze and structure prospective investments, and it provides ongoing management support to existing investments. The Analyst will play an integral support role on the team spanning all portfolios and responding to specific needs as they arise.
More detailed Portfolio responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Generally supporting the Chief Investment Officer and Deputy Chief Investment Officer in the overall management of investment processes.
- Scheduling, managing logistics, creating agendas and taking minutes for Portfolio-related meetings.
- Liaising with the Finance and Legal teams to ensure smooth and efficient documentation and execution of investments.
- Providing the Business Development and Knowledge teams with Portfolio metrics and analyses for external reports and documents.
- Partnering with the Talent team to manage global portfolio hiring, including tracking and pre-screening resumes, scheduling interviews, and managing all communication with candidates.
- Managing global metrics compliance and ensuring that Acumen’s portfolio management systems contain the most recent data and information.
- Preparing reports and documents for Portfolio team members.
- Assisting with Portfolio work on an ad hoc basis, which may include helping with Board meeting preparation and working with other departments on administrative projects.
- Occasional opportunities to help Portfolio Managers and Associates conduct due diligence on businesses with proven or promising approaches to delivering health, water, agriculture, housing, and education.
Qualifications & Characteristics
Candidates for the Analyst role should have a passionate commitment to Acumen Fund’s mission of solving the toughest problems of poverty, a strong entrepreneurial spirit and excellent attention to detail. This role is most suited for recent graduates and emerging professionals with not more than a year of work experience. Strong candidates will have an interest in both private for-profit and not-for-profit opportunities and will bring passion for international development, either through academic study, field experience or (ideally) both.
In addition to a bachelor’s degree, she or he should also possess:
- Prior work experience in a fast-paced environment with a demonstrated ability to work independently, proactively and deliver the highest quality product possible.
- Very strong organizational skills, constant thoroughness, an attention to detail, and commitment to accuracy.
- Tireless commitment and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves on tasks small and large.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills and familiarity with concepts of finance/economics.
- Facility with database software tools, comfort with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and an ability and interest in learn quickly on the job.
- An eye for design / an interest in design principles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Maturity, excellent interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation, assertive team player with a good sense of humor.
- Embodiment of the organization’s core values: leadership and listening, generosity and accountability, audacity and humility, built on a foundation of integrity and respect.
- Must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
The following attributes are ideal, but not strictly required:
- Experience with Google analytics and related web tools.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite / basic working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience with Salesforce/Common Ground or other CRM systems.
- Experience managing professional social media platforms/tools.
Acumen Fund offers a competitive compensation package including 401K plan and full benefits.
How will we know you’re the right person for the job?
This application is closed.